Interlibrary Loan (ILL) Policy
The Interlibrary Loan Department's primary goal is to provide the Henderson campus community with articles and books not held by Huie Library or Riley-Hickingbotham Library. Below are answers to some of the frequently asked questions, which will help explain this service.
1. Who may use Interlibrary Loan (ILL)?
- All HSU students, faculty, and staff are eligible to use the Interlibrary Loan service.
- OBU students, faculty, and staff are not eligible to use HSU's Interlibrary Loan service.
- Community patrons may use Interlibrary Loan for a $1.00 processing fee per request plus lending fee, if any.
2. What may be borrowed?
- The patron may request journal articles and books not held by Huie Library.
- HSU students, faculty, and staff may borrow OBU materials using their Henderson identification. Huie Library does not process requests for OBU materials. Note: Borrowers using the OBU library must have an active Huie Library account.
- Per copyright restrictions, patrons may not request textbooks and other required course materials for current classes.
- The ILL department will process all requests, but there is no guarantee that the lending library will loan the material. Items that are difficult and sometimes impossible to obtain include but are not limited to:
- Recently published books
- Dissertations and theses
- Archival materials
- Rare or valuable books
- Bulky or fragile material
- Materials with local circulation restrictions, such as reference or reserve items
3. How many requests may be made at one time?
- There is no limit on the number of requests a patron may submit. Usage of ILL is based on need.
- During periods of peak ILL usage, patrons turning in numerous requests should prioritize their requests so that all patrons have access to the service.
4. Are charges assessed for ILL?
- For HSU students, faculty, and staff, most interlibrary loan requests are processed without any charge.
- Community patrons pay a $1.00 processing fee per request.
- If the lending library charges a fee,
- HSU Undergraduate Students are responsible for the first $5 of any lender fee. The library will subsidize $25 for any additional lender fees per student in a fiscal year.
- HSU Graduate Students, Faculty, Staff: The library will subsidize $50 of lender fees per person in a fiscal year.
- HSU Community Patrons are responsible for all lender fees.
- Lending libraries may assess a fee for rush requests.
- Books may be sent through a delivery service at the patron's expense.
- Payment of ILL charges is due whether or not the patron picks up the item.
5. How long does it take to fulfill a request?
- Most requests are processed within 24 hours.
- Articles usually take 2 to 10 business days. Length of time depends upon the lending library and its turnaround time.
- Turnaround time for books cannot be determined exactly as each lender treats requests differently, availability of material may be limited, and delivery is dependent upon mail service. Please allow at least 2 weeks.
6. How long may I keep an ILL item?
- The lending period for interlibrary loan material is set by the lending library.
- Renewals on interlibrary loan materials are strictly at the discretion of the lending library. Requests for extensions must be made at least three days before the due date.
- Repeated disregard of due dates may result in the suspension of borrowing privileges.
7. How should I return ILL materials?
- Patrons are responsible for the return of ILL materials by the date due or when materials are recalled by the lending library. If materials are not returned by the due date or within 24 hours of recall, ILL privileges will be revoked.
- Books not picked up by the patron by the due date will be returned to the lending library.
- Articles not picked up by the patron will be discarded at the end of the term.
8. What if I lose an ILL item?
- Patrons are responsible for all charges accruing from lost and overdue Interlibrary Loan materials.
- Unpaid bills will be sent to the HSU business office.
- Interlibrary Loan is not a copying service.
- Exception : For HSU Faculty who are currently teaching and working on their doctorate, the Interlibrary Loan staff will provide copies of articles held by Huie Library as time and staffing permit. Due to budgetary constraints, we cannot offer this service to all faculty.
Last Reviewed: 10/08/2012